Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Behind every hard thing is a blessing

Ack! I am so sorry guys! two whole days late!  I am dependent on a very unreliable satellite. Also, all computers seem to be against me right at the moment. Even though I did not meet my deadline, I think it was for the best. Don't you just love it when something bad happens and a day later you find out that it was a blessing in disguise? Well, I do. This is one of those times. While I was writing my blog for this week (before my internet failed me) I just wasn't feeling it. I knew what I was writing was good, but it didn't feel right. I had an epiphany this morning during seminary and then I knew what I should write.

One of my favorite story in the Old Testament is the one about Job. Job was a righteous man who had everything taken away from him. People, even his friends, started to say that he had done something evil and that he had sinned. The thing is that he never blamed or turned away from the Lord. It's a beautiful story. I recommend you read it.


I often ask my self why bad things happen to me, and complain that life just ain't fair sometimes. Then I have to hit myself over the head because 1)I really don't have it bad and it's selfish to be thinking about myself 2)Bad things happen all the time to everyone. Trials are just a part of life. A good friend wrote to me that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Ahhh, truer words were never spoken. We have the great opportunity to grow and learn through our trials. I have many a time been able to strengthen my testimony of the gospel and of Jesus Christ because of the rough patches in life.


In Alma 30:44 Alma said, “All things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator” 


Even the not so welcome stuff in life proves that there is a God. Some people don't see it that way and blame God for everything (Or just deny that there is a God or anything like it). Look at it this way-- we have been given free angency. If Heavenly Father stopped every bad thing then he would be taking away someone's free agency.

 
 When ever I find myself in a "pity me" mood I like to read this scripture--


Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-10



" My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.
 Thou art not yet as Job; thy friends do not contend against thee, neither charge thee with transgression, as they did Job."

During this time the early saints were going through many afflictions that we couldn't even imagine going through. I often wonder if I had lived back then with the testimony I have now, would it be strong enough? If what they were going through wasn't as bad as Job, think how easy we have it! The life here on earth is such a small moment in the eternal perspective. 


Having this knowledge has helped me get through some frustrating times and I know it can help you too. You just have to accept the love offered to you by Heavenly Father.


P.S. I am hoping that soon I will have access to a camera, so I can add pictures!



No comments:

Post a Comment