Sunday, February 19, 2012

Be Beautiful

I do not mean that you should take a shower, curl your hair, put make up on, and dress up nor do I mean that there it something about you that you need to change. Quite the contrary (not saying that showers are not welcome). I want to remind you all that you are beloved children of our Heavenly Father. 


There are many definitions of a "beautiful girl", but let me share with you mine.


A beautiful girl is one who: is confident, holds her standards high, seeks to be an example through action, is not afraid of the world's judgment, knows her worth, and smiles.


Now that is not my complete thought, but I think it's enough for you to get the idea. 


Be confident in who you are. I am a little wacky. I make dolphin noises. Nuf' said. I was/am kinda shy. I never let new people know that side of me until I knew that they could deal with it. Now I let them see it at the get go. When you are confident you have this shield around you that makes all negative things bounce off of you. It's great!


One of the best ways to show your standards on the outside is to dress modestly. I am so strict on my modest clothing. I don't care if it's just a little itty bitty to short, I will not wear it. I have seen a lot of girls my age bend these rules ever so slightly and after awhile that little bit becomes a foot. The way I think of it is that until the prophet tells us that the standards have changed it is still very important that we are stay true. Don't even try to tell me that there isn't cute clothes that are modest because I know that you know better.


Okay, I am a girl. I like boys. I am no way boy crazy but I would like to think that there's a guy out there that's just meant for me. I have a fairy tale complex. I am at the age that it is almost embarrassing that I haven't dated more than the wee bit that I have. Let me tell you how much I'm not embarrassed. Because I know my worth I know that I don't have to settle for less. (Please note that there is a difference between knowing your worth and stuck up.) I know that there is many young men in my area who are worthy young men, but they have not crossed my path. I also would rather have more friends than boyfriends. This doesn't  just apply to boys, but to everything in life. Don't settle for less than you are worth and never let anyone tell you otherwise!


I am currently the oldest young women in my ward. Let me tall ya', I have not seen more beautiful girls than in our church. I have also met girls from outside the church that hold similar standards that let Christ's light shine through. They are all shining examples of what I want to be and I only hope that I am to them as they are for me. I know that when you are doing right than you are letting your light shine. Even when your not physically lifting the corners of your mouth people will be able to see your smile through your eyes. 


"There is no more beautiful sight than a young woman who glows with the light of the Spirit, who is confident and courageous because she is virtuous." -ELAINE S. DALTON

Also I would like to invite you to read this talk by Jeffery R. Holland from the 2011 October general conference- We Are All Enlisted. Even though it was for the priesthood, we young women can still learn from it!


P.S. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to arrange my thoughts in a more organized manner. Until then, please muddle through with me.

1 comment: