Sunday, March 4, 2012

Take the Advantage

One of the most  memorable Young Womens lesson from when I was a Beehive was when our leader put a simple but beautiful cake on a table that had a a clean white cloth on it in front of the class. She had the cake propped up on in a way that showed it off without tipping it. It was the last class before going home so of course that made it even more enticing. She then cut a small piece out of it and gave it to one of the older young women. Our leader had her describe the cake to everyone. We wanted that cake. She then proceeded to dump it in the trash and put dish soap on it the make sure we didn't try and sneak any (the trash bag was clean so it wouldn't have been that gross...). I am pretty sure this made on the girls start to cry. Cruel. But this is the point she wanted to get across-- This is what it would be like if we didn't go to the temple and receive the blessings that would come from doing so. This wasn't even one of those time where they have a back up cake... we were cakeless.
Point taken.

This week the youth in my ward have the opportunity to go the the temple to do baptisms for the dead. I am so thankful that  youth have the chance to go to the temple and do work there. Notice that I use words like "opportunity" and "chance". It's something that we have to choose. No one can make us be worthy to go to the temple. We have to choose to keep the standards, to keep the law of chastity, to follow the word of wisdom, to be honest with our fellow being, and to live according to the gospel. We choose.
Salt Lake City Temple

Heavenly Father has blessed with many things to help us get a head start-- TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM! The temple is one of the most important and sacred. Every time I go there my testimony is strengthened .

When I was younger I had this idea that the temple was just a place that you get married in. Boy, was I wrong. The temple is a place you make covenants that you can't anywhere else. It's where you receive your endowments and many other blessings that isn't otherwise available to us. I don't think we can fully comprehend the greatness of it until we go ourselves and maybe not even then.

I love hearing about the stories about temples. Like how angels were on the roof of the Kirtland temple at it's dedication. My dad was in the choir for the dedication of the temple in our area. He told us that while he was singing he knew he wasn't getting the notes right when behind him he heard someone singing with him. No one was there where the was coming from. He knew it was an angels singing with the choir. I know it. It's so amazing to me that something on this earth can be so holy that angels will come down and join in the thanksgiving of the wonderful blessing that the temple is. I truly know that it is the Lord's House.

That is why we need to be worthy to go and receive the blessings that our Heavenly Father is so ready to give us. If you're not, get your act together! Don't just throw it away.






No comments:

Post a Comment